New legislation 
Licences for short term lets

As of 1 October 2022, you need to apply for a licence to operate a short term let in Scotland. Here's what you need to know and how we can help.

What you need to know 
Operating a short term let in Scotland

As of 1 October 2023 all short term lets operators need to apply to their local authority for a licence. This will involve making an application, providing documentation and paying a fee. Different councils may also have different processes.

All kinds of short term lets will be affected, including:

  • Secondary letting (self-catering)
  • Home letting (renting out your home)
  • Home sharing (B&B or letting a room in your home)

We have put together FAQ’s that will help you understand the process for applying for a short term lets licence, which you can access by entering your contact details on the right.

For additional information about the current legislation surrounding short term lets please read about it here


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Let us manage your property

If you’d like advice on changing your property to a long-term let our friendly and professional landlord services team are here to help.

Let us sell your property

If you’d like advice on selling your property our residential property team will take care of you every step of the way.