Complaints Policy


We are committed to providing a high quality service to all our clients.  However, we recognise that occasionally things might go wrong.  If they do, please tell us about it.  This will help us to improve our service.  If you wish to make a formal complaint, then this procedure explains how we will deal with it.


In the first instance, it may be useful to contact the individual who is working on your case to discuss any concerns.  That individual, or their team manager, will do their best to resolve any issues.  Our contact details will be in our initial engagement letter sent to you.

If you do not feel able to raise your concerns with them, or if you are unsatisfied with the response, then you can raise a complaint with our management team.

Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The best way to contact us is by email or in writing.  That is the best way to make sure we fully understand your concerns.  To help us understand your complaint, and so that we do not miss anything, please tell us:

  1. your full name and contact details;
  2. what you think we have got wrong;
  3. how you would like your complaint to be resolved; and
  4. your file reference number (if you have this).

If you are unable to contact us by email or in writing, you can still make your complaint by telephoning us.  You should ask to speak to the appropriate member of our team identified below.

Please note that this person may not always be available and therefore you may be asked to leave your contact details and a description of your concerns with another member of our team.  If you require to make your complaint by telephone, we will require to obtain either an email or postal address from you so that we can set out in writing the issues we understand you wish us to investigate and provide you with our written findings.


The person to contact with the complaint depends on which member of our group has provided services.

For services provided by Gilson Gray LLP (Scottish legal services) then the person to contact is our Client Relations Manager.  Gilson Gray LLP’s current Client Relations Manager is Rosie Walker.   You can e-mail a complaint to rwalker@gilsongray.co.uk.  Alternatively the address to write to is Gilson Gray LLP, 29 Rutland Square, Edinburgh, EH1 2BW.

For services provided by Gilson Gray (England) Limited (including English conveyancing services) then the person to speak to is our Head of Residential Conveyancing, England.  Gilson Gray (England) Limited’s current Head of Residential Conveyancing, England is Gary Tyman.  You can e-mail a complaint to gary.tyman@gilsongray.com  Alternatively the address to write to is Gilson Gray (England) LLP, Olympic House, 995 Doddington Road, Lincoln, LN6 3SE

For services provided by Gilson Gray Property Services LLP (Estate Agency and Lettings services), the person to contact for Estate Agency is Rob McGregor, you can email a complaint to rmcgregor@gilsongray.co.uk The letting contact is Sam Paulo, you can email a complaint to spaulo@gilsongray.co.uk Alternatively, the address to write to Gilson Gray LLP, 29 Rutland Square, Edinburgh, EH1 2BW.

For services provided by Gilson Gray Financial Limited, the person to contact is the Managing Partner. Gilson Gray Property Services LLP’s current Managing Partner is Alastair Lindsay.  You can e-mail a complaint to alindsay@gilsongray.co.uk.  Alternatively the address to write to is Gilson Gray LLP, 29 Rutland Square, Edinburgh, EH1 2BW.


  1. Once a complaint is received, we aim to send you an acknowledgement within two working days. We may ask you for further details of your complaint in order that we can properly understand and respond to it.  If you have raised your complaint by telephone, we will summarise our understanding of the issues and our acknowledgement within 5 working days, and we would be grateful if you would clarify any errors or discrepancies as soon as you can.
  2. We will investigate your complaint. This is likely to involve discussing the matter with the members of staff who acted for you reviewing the documents and correspondence contained in your file. Our investigation will include an objective review of the file for your matter.
  3. We will provide you with a final response to your complaint in writing. This may include proposals to resolve the complaint.  We aim to provide this final response within 4 weeks of the date upon which we receive sufficient details of your complaint to enable us to fully investigate.
  4. If we cannot complete our investigations within the timescales above, we will let you know and explain the reasons for any extension or delay.
  5. We may occasionally ask to have a telephone call or invite you to a meeting to discuss your complaint. You do not have to attend if you do not wish to, or are unable to do so.
  6. Where appropriate, we will keep you up to date on the progress of your complaint. There may not be updates if the matter can be resolved within the 4 weeks mentioned above.
  7. If we have a discussion with you regarding your complaint, we will confirm our discussions in writing. We aim to do so within five working days of the call.
  8. If you are unhappy with our written response, or if you wish to escalate matters separately, you have the right to do so. As providers of regulatory services, there are independent bodies who can deal with your complaint.  This will be the Legal Ombudsman for work carried out by Gilson Gray (England) Limited, or the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (SLCC) for services provided by Gilson Gray LLP.  Their services are free of charge.  More detail on each is provided below.


This is for complaints about Gilson Gray LLP (Scottish work) only.  There are strict time limits within which you must submit a complaint to the SLCC.  Details of these time limits and of the complaints process is laid out in their website: https://www.scottishlegalcomplaints.org.uk/.

The SLCC can be contacted in 0131 201 2140, by email at: enquiries@scottishlegalcomplaints.org.uk

or by post at The Stamp Office, 10-14 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh EH1 3EG.


This is for complaints about Gilson Gray (England) Limited (English work) only.

A complaint to the Legal Ombudsman is typically an alternative to Court proceedings for a claim for negligence.  You should check that you are entitled to bring a complaint.  Typically the Legal Ombudsman will deal with complaints from an individual, with a business with fewer than 10 employees and a turnover or assets not exceeding a certain threshold, a charity or a trust with a net income of less than £1m.  There are other categories of complaining.  You can find out more from the Legal Ombudsman.

You have a right to object to the Legal Ombudsman regarding our fee or certain aspects of advice.

The Legal Ombudsman will consider the following factors: your characteristics as a customer, such as vulnerability; your level of experience in the matter of the complaint; our expertise and the standard of service expected from us if we hold ourselves out as experts; promises, assurances and service level agreements that we have put in place with you and how circumstances might mean that we need to go beyond the stated agreements; and your reliance on the advice we provide, the reliance of others on the advice and the expectation that we will use our own expertise to assess the work of others.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first.  If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman (a) within six months of receiving a final response from us to your complaint; and (b) no more than six years from the date of the act or omission, or no more than three years from when you reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

The contact for the Legal Ombudsman are as follows:

Website: www.legalombudsman.org.uk

Telephone: 0300 555 0333

E-mail: enquiries@legalombudsman.org.uk

Address: Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ.

The Solicitors Regulatory Authority can also help if you are concerned about our behaviour.  They can be contacted by post at The Cube, 199 Wharfside Street, Birmingham, B1 1RN, by telephone on 0370 606 2555 or via their website at www.sra.org.uk.


In some situations, persons or businesses who are not our clients (known as Third Parties) may be entitled to make a complaint.  These must be made to us by email or in writing.  We will investigate permitted Third Party complaints and set out by email or in writing whether or not we have upheld them.  However we are normally unable to disclose any information to Third Parties which is confidential or privileged to our clients.  As such we will be limited in the detail we can provide to Third Parties explaining the decision we have reached on their complaint.

In some situations Third Parties can also complaint to the SLCC or Legal Ombudsman.  Their contact details are as set out above.  Please note that the time frames for Third Party complaints may differ.